All you need to know about Dutch work permits

Acquiring a Dutch work permit at IND

We, EU-People, receive a lot of questions about work permits in The Netherlands. When do you need one and how can you get it? How long does it take? In this blog, we answer all these questions and more, all based on the high-quality information from the Dutch Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst (IND)

When do you need a Dutch work permit?

You need a work permit when you do not have a nationality from any of the countries mentioned below to work in The Netherlands. 

(Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and Sweden), European Economic Area (EEA) member states (Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway) and Switzerland.

How to retrieve a Dutch work permit?

There are several ways to retrieve a Dutch working permit and for detailed information, we refer you to the website of the IND.

1. Work as a highly skilled migrant

You are a highly skilled person? Apply direct for a suitable job with a Dutch company and if the company is recognized by the IND, it can apply for a work permit for you. You need to be especially skilled to be considered for work. Examples of highly skilled migrants include (guest) teachers, (scientific) researchers and doctors in training.

2. Acquire a European Blue Card

Highly educated employees from outside the EU, EEA, or Switzerland, may be able to acquire a European Blue Card. With a European Blue Card, you may work without a work permit for the employer who arranged a residence permit for you. In addition, you’re allowed to work on a self-employed basis. The requirements for the European Blue Card can be found on the IND website.

The European Blue Card has been implemented by Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France (incl. French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Mayotte, and La Reunion), Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands (excl. Aruba, Curaçao, Sint Maarten + Bonaire, Saba, and Sint Eustatius), Norway, ustria, Poland, Portugal (incl. the Azores and Madeira), Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain (incl. the Balearic Islands and the Canary Islands), Czech Republic, Iceland, and Sweden.

3. Seasonal work in agriculture

Planning to work for a maximum of 24 weeks in the agricultural sector? You or your employer can apply for a seasonal combined work and residence permit (also called a single permit). For more information on this topic, we refer you to this page of the IND website.

How long does it take to get a Dutch work permit?

Once your form is submitted and you paid the fees, the IND will process your request. The IND is legally allowed to take up to 90 days before coming to a conclusion. But you can check the progress of your application by calling the IND (+31 88 0430 430) between 9:00-17:00, Monday to Friday. If your application is approved, then you or your employer will receive a letter of confirmation.

Can EU-People get a work permit for me?

Due to the high-speed nature of our recruiting process, we are unable to help you get a Dutch work permit. At EU-People, we work with a high turnover of job offers. Once we receive a request for employees, we aim to fill the position within a week or so. As such, we are unable to wait for the legally permitted response time of the IND (90 days). If you have a special skill or high education, apply directly with a Dutch company in your field. You could also try for seasonal work at a company or agency that is active in the agricultural sector.

Red flag: Pay-for-permit schemes

When applying for a work permit, fees are involved. You or your employer pay directly to the IND (depending on the situation). BE AWARE, some swindlers may offer you a Dutch work permit if you pay them a (large) sum of money. Do not trust them! They are illegal and it’s impossible to acquire a valid Dutch work permit simply by paying money.

Summing up

People with nationalities from outside the EU, EEU, or Switzerland need a permit to work in The Netherlands. There are many ways to get a Dutch work permit, such as to work as a highly skilled migrant worker or to acquire a European Blue Card, or perform seasonal work in agriculture. Once the application is sent and fees are paid, the IND has a legal response time of up to 90 days. Watch out for pay-for-permit schemes! It’s impossible to acquire a legal Dutch work permit simply by paying money.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *